Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013

The year is officially over.

Over the past several days, I've read several updates on Facebook from friends who bemoan how horrible their own 2013 was, and who look forward with hope that 2014 will be better.  I guess I'm more of a seasonal person, because at the end of 2013, I find myself looking back on the year, thinking "eh, it wasn't so bad after all."  Had you asked me my opinion of the year around mid-May, I would have probably told you how absolutely horrible it had been, but with 7+ months post-transplant behind us, and having been back home now and living as "normal" a life as possible, the year as a whole doesn't feel all that bad.  Time heals, it's true.

Tricia is living life as much as possible.  She continues to struggle to gain weight...nobody is really sure why at this point, especially since her appetite is healthy.  Without any extra pounds on her body, she continues to also be very vulnerable to becoming very sick if she catches anything, as her body really has nothing in reserve for strength, energy and stamina.  So, we thank God every day that she had remained relatively healthy this fall and winter so far.  We are also thankful that we've only been back to Duke a few times for appointments since arriving home in August, and that all tests have come back negative for rejection and infection.

Gwyneth is loving Kindergarten and learning so much.  She has an amazing team of educators who are helping her continue to "catch up" with her classmates and overcome the obstacles placed in her way because of her hearing loss and cerebral palsy.

We spent several days over Christmas break with Tricia's family in NJ/PA, our first trip up north together in over a year.  We are reminded every day of Tricia's donor and his/her family, as they are spending this first holiday season without their loved one, and we are always thankful.

Thank you for your continued prayer and support.  We are enjoying out time together, spending as much time away from social media as possible, and we thank you for your understanding.

Nate

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that things are going well for you all and that this New Year finds you all together. Praying for a healthy 2014 for your family.

Caravan Sonnet said...

I am so thankful and happy to hear that things are going well for y'all. I completely understand your desire to spend time away from social media/updates and I do want you to know that y'all remain in my daily prayers. I pray that this is a season of rest and joyful memory making with you and your children. Blessings to both of you as so many of us (myself included!!) have been inspired, challenged, and encouraged to live life courageously through your sharing of your lives. With lots of prayer and deep gratitude,
Rebecca :)

Cassie12 said...

Thanks for the update Nate!! Continue to pray for Tricia and your family…miss you on Facebook but totally understand. Wishing you all the best for 2014!!!
Susan
Redwood City, CA

Vivian said...

thank you Nate for the update. i check all the time to see what is new with your family.
we miss you but totally understand why you keep your life private.
praying 2014 will be a year of health for you all.
x0x0x0

sheilainhelene said...

Thank you, Nathan, for sharing your lives. It is a blessing to have grown up with you and now to see how God is at work with you and Trish and the kiddos. We think of you often and have stopped to pray for you both many times this year, esp. early on as we waited for God to supply Trish's lungs. He is so very good. God bless. Happy New Year 2014!

Faithe said...

I, too, rejoice that things are back to "normal" -- and that you're together as a family. Although I miss your Facebook updates, I do understand your desire to back off from social media. I check frequently to see if you've blogged, so your new update has made me smile! Praying for a great year ahead for all of you.
Blessings!!

jenny said...

So glad to hear you guys are doing well. Thanks for the post. I can totally relate about needing a break from social media, but it sure is good to get an update on y'all! May God bless you as you continue to walk with Him.

Mary said...

So glad for an update and that God is continuing to bless ya'll. May you have a wonderful 2014.

bkmanary said...

I join the others in thanking you for taking time to update your blog.
I sincerely hope that 2014 brings continued strength to Tricia, so am happy to read that her lungs continue to function well for her.
Love and prayers from
Brad-Karen-Lauren-Dana
Vancouver, BC
Canada

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! I check often for updates and am so happy to read that you are doing well. Praying that 2014 is a healthy year for all of you and your girls continue to thrive.

sillyhappymom said...

thanks for the update seeing this made my night. Totally understand your step away from social media. Enjoy Gods blessings. I pray for you and your family often. Praising God with you all. as well as praying for both donor families

sillyhappymom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Di said...

Thank you so much for the update. My prayers are always with you, Tricia and Gyneth.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. I check in periodically, as I think of you folks often and pray that Tricia continues to do well. May 2014 be a good year for your wonderful family.

Tammy C said...

Thanks for the update. i know you haven't been on Facebook for about 7 months,but every so often I watch a sporting event and think what does Nate think about this game. Missed your NFL rantings this season.

Lisa said...

Hello Nate Trisha and family!
I feel like everyone else grateful to have an update,as I was so honored to pray fervrently for Trisha's second set of lungs.
Praise the Lord for his provision.
Love Lisa in sunny San Diego.

allyk said...

So glad to hear that everything is going well. Have a wonderful 2014.