Saturday, March 15, 2008

7 Things


Just for fun, here are 7 Things You May Not Know About Me:

1) When I was born, I had no less than seven living grandmothers. Talk about some sweet granny lovin'! My mom's mom, my dad's mom, my mom's two grandmothers, my dad's two grandmothers and my dad's step-grandmother.

2) I played soccer (football to everyone outside of the US) in college. I played all growing up, and although Baseball was always my first love, I excelled as a soccer player. I played my junior and senior year in high school, played a few international, semi-professional matches in South Africa, and even signed a letter of intent and played my freshman year at Nyack College. After that first season, I decided that the college sports scene was way too much about winning and not enough about having fun. Although I have coached little league since (and hope to someday coach my future Mia Hamm superstar...seriously, you should have been with my dad and I the other night watching her kick), I have never again played competitively.

3) I have never spent a minute in a hospital as a patient, nor have I ever had any broken bones. I have spent plenty of time in a hospital, but never as a patient, which is a good thing because I'm not good with pain, needles or blood (especially when it's my own). I'm pretty sure I've broken a few toes, but those heal on their own, so they really don't count.

4) Although music/singing is my profession, I don't even consider myself to be the best vocalist in my family (and neither do most other people). My youngest sister, Rachel, has got some mad, crazy, sweet vocal skills, and she's not half-bad on a left-handed guitar, either. You can hear some very poor audio-quality of her outstanding voice on some of the MilePost13 Videos. And, she's a better photographer than me, to boot!

5) Although I may appear to be strong and durable on this blog, I don't hold anything up to my oldest sister, Sarah. She is one of the most independent, bold and honest people I have ever met. It was a pain in the rear when we were growing up, but I respect her for it now more than she'll ever know. One of the most difficult moments of the past few months for me was the last hug I gave her before she and her new husband, Terry moved down to Florida the week after Gwyneth was born. I'm crying now just writing about it.

6) I average 1.5 haircuts per year. It's not that I hate cutting my hair, it's that I hate having the same haircut/hairdo for more than a few weeks at a time. Fortunately, by hair is about as thick as a Dairy Queen milkshake, and grows as fast as lightning, so my looks are always changing. When I do cut it, I almost always buzz it down to about half an inch long and then just let it do it's thing. My facial hair is just about the same. (and, the next time my dad leaves a comment here about my needing a haircut, I'll show you a picture of his hair at my age from the memorable decade known as "the 70's"...talk about gnarly!)

7) Much to Tricia's dismay, I have a personal, lifetime boycott from the restaurant known as Friendly's. Can you say misnomer?!?

So, there you go. You are more intelligent now than you were 5 minutes ago (because I guarantee nobody knew all of those things about me), which is more than you can say about some blogs. Feel free to post you own 7 Things list on your own blog...I give you permission to steal from my genius...

Nate

26 comments:

Deb said...

This was fun!
As a fellow Jersey girl- I'm a little sad for Tricia's loss of Friendly's.
I know your pain of far away siblings- my older sister lives in Cali now and has only seen my son (who is almost 3) twice. At least one of those times I also had my baby too!
It is very impressive to have never been a hospital patient by now! Keep up the good work!

anita said...

is there a particular reason that you are anti-Friendly's?

Bonnie said...

Ok, I took your challenge and posted my 7 things. I've never eaten at a Friendly's, but I enjoyed a lovely dinner at The Cheesecake Factory yesterday!

Katie Lamont said...

I knew almost all of those things! I, too, do not enjoy Friendly's as much as the rest of the world seems to...

Jane said...

you do know that those of us that are the youngest get the BEST talents! that's what my three older sisters have been telling me all my life!

wish I could get away from getting my hair cut...girls pay WAY to much for hair cuts and products.

and no broken bones as a soccer player...you must have sat on the bench or been the water boy! hee hee!

lislynn said...

Now I'm dying to hear the Friendly's story...

Anonymous said...

Didn't you realize everyone would want to hear the Friendly's story? :) Now for Tricia's 7 things we don't know. :D and 7 things about Meka, and Ralphie and Gwyneth. :)

Candy said...

Okay, what's the Friendly's story? LOL

marcia said...

How about if the contest winner gets to buzz your hair this time around...and take you to Friendly's for lunch?

D.O. said...

I agree with "Marcia"!

Elizabeth Fanco said...

my husband is anti-Friendlys too. I grew up going there all the time after football games, etc so I LOVE it, but he thinks it's overpriced, crappy food and rude people. Some people just DON'T get it :-P

Nana2Six said...

I'm with you Nate, but I have come to realize that Friendly's is just part of the Jersey experience! I know they have stores in other places, but it seems that it is only in Jersey, where you get the waitress with attitude as a side dish!

When I first met my husband he had been going to Friendly's EVERY morning for breakfast for MANY MANY years! He knew every one of the 'cranky- my -bark- is -worse- than- my -bite' waitresses by name and they LOVED him.

Many years later two of our daughters would work for the same Friendly's and many of those same old waitresses were still there. Boy did they have stories to tell our girls about their dad's "diner ministry" ! :)
Have a wonderful weekend! I will post my 7 things over on my blog later after I think about it for awhile!

Saralyn said...

What? Friendly's rocks! The black raspberry ice cream, the chowder, the Fribbles, the clam boat, the samplers....ahhh! We don't have them out here. Have to go home to Mom's for a fix.

But my mom's cousin is with you. She calls it Hostile's--where none of the stools at the counter have seats on them and they have 37 flavors: vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla...

Rick Lawrenson said...

Can't comment on Friendly's since I've only eaten there a couple of times. I don't remember anything about food or service that was outstanding.

But I do want to know this; If Terry was Sarah's new husband, who was the old one?

Grey-Eyed Mom said...

We hear so much about Tricia and Gwenyth, it was nice to hear about you!

That's cool about your grandmas. I myself had 17 grandparents alive when I was born. All 4 grandparents, all 8 great-grandparents plus two step-great-grandparents, and three great-great grandmothers. The youngest great-grandmother lived to be 101 and died my senior year of high school!

Lauren M said...

I also have a boycott for Friendly's after they gave me food poisoning. I warned my friend like 3 days later not to go there, or at least not to get any chicken like I had. She did not listen to me and got sick as well. A week later an article appeared in the local paper about a woman threatening to sue the restaurant for giving her food poisoning. It then shut down forever. I did enjoy their icecream when I visited the mall with my mom as a kid.

Aspiemom said...

It was fun to read your 7 Things, Nate. I think you looked particularly nice with the short haircut. What does Tricia prefer?
Aspiemom

MahoneyMusings said...

Hey! We call it soccer in Canada too! :)

Enjoyed the list!
Colleen

agmwilliams said...

My 7 things...
http://addiandjake.blogspot.com/2008/03/7-things-from-cf-husbands-blog.html

Nora said...

Too much fun! Thanks for the idea! http://gockingnews.blogspot.com/2008/03/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-me-from.html

Still keeping you guys in prayer!

Unknown said...

My-oh-my, but I havent' seen a Friendly's since we left NJ in 1990! Oh, how we loved their ice cream, especially the "watermelon slice."

Destini said...

I had actually completed my 7 things a month or so back when a friend tagged me. If you want to a little chuckle and want to know some weird things about me, here is my link:
http://glimpseofdestini.blogspot.com/2008/02/as-per-your-request.html

E said...

With you on the Friendly's thing and I live in Ohio. Just don't get why everyone else loves it so, or HOW it can stay in business with so many other GOOD places around!
As I was reading your post of seven things and about your sisters, I thought of this book from http://www.good-stock.com/ called the Good Stock book that you create (with their help!) for your child about their family's traits...I would love to do it for my boys. Definitely keeping you three in my prayers!
Blessings!

Amy said...

It has taken me a while but here are my 7 things:
http://amyplunk.blogspot.com/2008/03/7-things.html

kitten.mom said...

I feel your pain tricia. Every time me and my brother are sick or have surgery the first stop is to friendlys for some New England Clam Chowder and a Chocolate fribble ( Interesting combo I know but it sure makes you feel better)
Also I have 14 grandparents. I think its nice having them in large numbers. it makes you feel loved. My hubby only has one. )-: So he loves my family and all its grandparents. (-:

Jennifer said...

My dad played soccer and baseball at Nyack too! A few years before you, though. What a small world! I love reading the blog and am praying for your sweet family!
Jennifer